Why are Boob A little Bit Different?
Just Maternity Jeans UK has certainly become a keen fan of Boob, not just for the lasting quality and style of their clothes, but for their work, production and environmental ethics. Read on a little and we think you'll be impressed.
When you buy a garment from Boob, you are buying something produced with a lot of care. This is reflected in the high quality of the design, the function and the fabric. Less obvious, perhaps, is their care for everyone and everything involved in the production; the people as well as the environment.
- All production is based in Europe
Boob don’t just hunt for the lowest price and the speediest delivery. They pay what the product actually costs. This enables them to maintain a high quality and at the same time make sure that the people who work for them are decently paid.
All production is in Europe, in factories where they respect our Code of Conduct, which is based on the ILO conventions and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. The code includes requirements such as:
- Compliance with local labour law
- Statutory pay and working hours
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining
- The abolition of child labour
- The elimination of discrimination in the workplace
- The elimination of forced and compulsory labour
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Compliance with local environmental legislation
Boob work together with agents who visit their factories to make regular check ups, so that these standards are maintained at all times.
- Reduce production impact on the environment
We can all do a lot to improve the environment. At Boob, they see this as a challenge, and it is the topic of an ongoing discussion. Their goal is to reduce all their production impact on the environment, in every way possible. An important step towards this goal has been to choose producers with advanced technology. They have both routines and equipment necessary for the handling of chemicals and water purification. This, plus the fact that Boob have placed all production in Europe, ensures a production that is as environmentally sound as possible, even when working with conventionally grown cotton.
A garment from Boob is made with a lot of care for detail. This care often entails eliminating unnecessary features.
- Their goal is to use materials that are environmentally optimal
Boob use chiefly organic cotton in their collections. Organic cotton is grown without the use of chemical pesticides or fertilizers, which is better for the health of the cotton farmer as well as the environment. They still have a few styles that are made wholly or partly from non-organic cotton. Their goal is to replace the fabric in these garments with more eco-friendly materials.
The fleece used in their collection is made from recycled plastic bottles - a good way of using waste and saving natural resources.
They are always testing new materials to find solutions that will make their clothes as ultimate as possible, for you as well as the environment.
All materials in their collection, except for the material in their woven pants, are certified with the OEKO-Tex Standard 100. This certification is a guarantee that their garments are completely free from toxins that are known to be harmful to humans. For you as a customer it is a guarantee that the clothes can be safely worn next to the skin.
Boob works actively to review and limit their environmental impact at every step of their products’ life cycles. The greatest energy consumption, however, occurs when you wash your clothes. By being mindful you can help reduce your own environmental impact, and at the same time your clothes will last longer. You’ll find a few inspiring tips on the care label in every Boob garment.
- Anything else?
As a commercial organisation they focus on the environmental impact of the product. But, of course, we think about the environment in all aspects of our work. Here are some examples of environmental measures at Boob:
- They always choose organic or eco-label when we buy food and other supplies for the office.
- They turn off all machinery at the end of our working day.
- They minimise printing and re-use discarded paper.
- They e-mail most of our invoices.
- They sort all our waste and leave paper, plastic, glass and tin for recycling.
- The cleaning of our office is done with eco friendly cleaning agents.
- They buy electricity from a provider that offers renewable energy.
- Their office is located in central Stockholm, making it easy for the staff to come to work by bicycle or public transport.
- Their company vehicle is an eco-car fuelled by ethanol.
- For errands in central Stockholm they use the company bicycle.
- They use bicycle delivery whenever possible.
- They use a shipping company with an environmental diploma from the Environment Administration in Gothenburg.
- They place all large printing jobs with a print-shop certified with the Swedish eco label.
- They have cut back on printed matters that have to be posted –such as invitations, info mailings and press releases– and send them electronically instead.
- Their products are packaged in bags made of 100% recycled plastic.